Saturday 5 March 2011

CNC - what I'm working with

My CNC mill is a Seig X1 mill that's I've fitted out with some 3A Nema23 Stepper motors and a 4 axis Chinese driver board (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180558342384&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123).

I'm driving it from a very old HP laptop and Windows XP. The laptop has a parallel port. Currently using the free version of Mach3 and hand coding my gcode scripts.


I've added coolant lines. No ball screws etc at this point, the price does not seem to be justified yet. I'm using a drill vice to hold the workpieces until I make a longer term decision.

Cutters have generally come from CTC tools (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront) - so far so good.

At this stage I've been very happy with the result's. It's got me started in CNC for a relatively small outlay and I seem to be able to make small parts with good accuracy once I get the code right.

I'm looking into moving over to Ubuntu and EMC2 for the software side of things but I still need to learn a bit more yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment