Wednesday 30 March 2011

Ubuntu play

I've been setting up Ubuntu 10.04 (EMC2 version) on an old desktop PC to try out EMC2 for mill control and as a general shed PC. The PC was $5 at the tip and I picked up a 15" LCD monitor for $2 at the same time. The monitor does not have a stand so I'll need to fabricate something for that but otherwise works well and has a composite input so I could use it for other purposes.

The CD drive was not working correctly on the PC so I've done the install to the hard drive via a USB/hard drive adapter. That took some fiddling for some reason but it's all working nicely so far.  No attempt to connect it to the mill yet.

I've also fired up Ubuntu One which will let me synchronize nominated folders across any PC I have running Ubuntu 10.04 or higher with an Internet connection.

I've also got Ubuntu installed as a dual boot on my better laptop and one of the very old laptops (currently Debian on the Beagleboard). I'm still running Windows on the other partition of the main laptop and on the desktop PC.

I've not done well with Ubuntu and displaying Powerpoint 2010 files - Libra office will open them but can't get the format right and the Powerpoint Viewer running under WINE can't open them for some reason.

There are also a number of Astronomy app's which I want to use which I've not been able to find Linux equivalents for - EQMOD, telescope guiding software, remote control of a Canon EOS camera etc. There is an Arduino package available but I've not done well with port settings yet.

I've had a basic play with the EOS utility and WINE but have not got it working correctly yet.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment